Chairmaker's Cottage to Chiltern Chapel
Over 200 years in the history of Methodism in a Buckinghamshire Village
Lane End Methodist Church nr. High Wycombe
by Betty Twitchen & Neil Rees
In 1801, a small single storey chairmaker's cottage later known as Bethesda Chapel was used for worship by a group of non-conformist Christians in Lane End.
In 1818 they aligned with the Wesleyan Methodist Church and as the congregation increased in size, a piece of land close to the village pond was purchased for £8.00 and a new chapel was built in 1834. This building later became the Wesleyan Day School, one of only two Wesleyan schools in the county, and a larger chapel was built in 1865.
The book which has over 70 photographs includes fund raising for the two chapels, excerpts from poems of Henry J. Plumridge (1848-1911) including 'A Lane End Sunday', King Zog of Albania & his family's exile to Lane End & Frieth, The Wesleyan Day School, Church anniversaries, The Methodist Guild, Sunday School from 1820 and the role of women in the life of the church.
£7.00 + £1.50 p & pkg.
The book is available from:
3 Finings Cottages, Finings Road, Lane End, High Wycombe, Bucks. HP14 3EY
The Granary, Chequers Lane, Cadmore End, High Wycombe Bucks. HP14 3PH